whimsy

whimsy

Tuesday 3 July 2012

super girl!

This is the face of a very happy girl
 

It was hero dress up day today at pre school. My boy wanted to wear his pirate costume but the girl was undecided. I asked her what she wanted to wear and she was ( typically) all about fairies. glitter, pink and purple. I asked if she'd like me to make her a 'Supergirl' costume her huge smile told me yes. I bought a pair of new womens pjs from an op shop for $5. I kept the pants for myself and use the shirt top to make her costume. I thought I'd blog about it as it was really easy and the parts of the top just seemed to work.
1. I removed the buttons
2. I cut the back of the shirt out- which I used as the cape. I hemmed it with a rolled hem.
3. I cut the front panels of the shirt out and these two pieces made the front and back of the skirt. I used the part that had the buttons and button holes on it as the hem. I hemmed the waist band of the skirt and threaded elastic through.
4. I cut the shirt arms so that they were about as long as M's calves and these made boot covers. I hemmed the tops of these and threaded elastic through them. The bottom edge didn't need hemming as they were originally the cuffs of the shirt. She wouldn't wear the boot covers!?
5. With the material that was left over I made a ties for the cape so she could wear it around/ remove it from her neck and a ribbon for her hair.

The mask I printed off the www, covered with silver card and glitter. M choose the belt from the op shop which was $1.99, I covered that with glitter too. I spray varnished both so that the glitter didn't come off. I used silver ribbon to tie the mask on and printed the super girl emblem off the www and it was stuck it to her tee shirt using a piece of clear book cover.
I'm now not so secretly looking forward to the next dress up day challenge! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment