whimsy

whimsy

Monday 17 September 2012

birthday cakes

I volunteered to make my friend's boy's 2nd birthday cake- any excuse as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't perfect but lots of fun to make and the birthday boy liked it : ).






It's two round cakes cut to shape. I used the dragon cake instructions below and google images of a stegosaurus as a 'kind of' guide. I did a crumb layer which really did help when putting on the vienna cream icing it so will be doing that again in future.

The 'dirt' is crushed malt biscuits and a kinder surprise dinosaur egg. The 'plates' are feijoa lollies- I wanted to use spearmint leaves but typically, couldn't find any when I needed them.

The big white cake tile the dinosaur is sitting on was left over from the husband's 'Warriors' birthday cake made by https://www.facebook.com/sugarbabycakerynz. They make incredible cakes and really yummy 'cake in a jar'. If you have a special event coming up they're well worth a look.

I came across a great 'how to' home made cake website recently too,  61 kid's cake designs. I love the bird house and the boy has now asked if he could have a fish tank cake for his birthday- fun ( especially since he's getting a fish tank and some fish for his birthday)  http://www.parenting.com/birthday-cakes


http://sdbytracy.com/dragoncake.htm.


2 comments:

  1. looks amazing! I am SO impressed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my daughter would love this! She's asked for a dinosaur birthday this year. I'm not sure I could pull this off though.

    ReplyDelete