whimsy

whimsy

Monday 8 October 2012

dinosaur egg money boxes

I found some small balloons and thought up this idea mostly to keep the kids amused while I paper mached the ice cream pinata I'm making. Whenever I put a layer on they want to help and it gets messy ( and makes twice as much work for me).

They each covered a small balloon in four layers of paper mache which we did over 4 days as each layer needs to dry before adding another. They painted them to look like dinosaur eggs ( or how we think they may have looked).

Using a needle I popped the balloons inside, painted them with a coat of polyurethane, which was slightly brown tinted which I thought looked good on them, and used a craft knife to cut slits big enough for inserting coins. One is a present for our wee friend who is 4 next month, there's one for us too. The idea is that once the egg is full of coins they smash/ rip it open to get the money out.




base colours
'splodges'
all done and ready to be wrapped as someone's pressie

2 comments:

  1. Cool fun. love to see them going all out and smashing them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog - love to see kids getting stuck into activities. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete